Sunday, March 8, 2015

AOW Impressions - 3/6/14

// What did you learn from your classmates this week? //
 
    This week, a lot of the blogs varied in topic and the topics took place in a lot of different places. One of the most interesting things that I learned was from Athziry and she talked about how studies show that social media is actually driving more teens into suicide. She had mentioned that two transgender kids posted their suicide notes on Tumblr and other people felt like their feelings were the same, which consequently, triggered them into committing suicide. I believe that this is important for the world to hear because in schools, we are always taught the bullying and rough lives at home lead to suicide and that parents should watch for those things, but now kids are killing themselves because they see others do it. I believe that this not only shows the power of soil media and the consequences of it, but it also shows the power that teens have. I think that this is an eye-opener to people around the world because anyone from any place can access these suicide letters online.

    Like most weeks, the most common topic was ISIS. Like I mentioned last week, a lot of the articles were different events surrounding ISIS. For example, Abdiel talked about teenage girls who ran away to join ISIS; while Gianna talked about releasing 19, Christian prisoners, and Steven talked about ISIS attacking archeological sites. I think that so many classmates chose ISIS, because it is quite frightening that all of the news on them, is all of the tragic events they are causing and nothing about actions taking place to stop them. The most interesting thing that I learned was from Gianna and the prisoners released by ISIS. Apparently, ISIS released the 19 Christians they had held hostage because "they didn't want to harm their neighbors." Overall, I believe that everyone is becoming better in summarizing their articles while giving out a lot of information.


Comments: Darya and Joey

3 comments:

  1. Nice blog this week. I didn't get to visit Athziry so I really appreciated the first paragraph. I think a lot of recent events like ISIS using social media and this show the true power and affect it has on our lives. I didn't know that teens committed suicide because of others post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is more in-depth, which I really appreciate! I liked your interpretation after the article descriptions, it's a nice style :)

    ReplyDelete