Thursday, January 15, 2015

TKAM: Film vs. Novel

// How would you prove or disprove that one version of To Kill A Mockingbird is more affective in delivering its message than the other? //

    I think that the book was a lot better in delivering its message than the film, even though I enjoyed the film more. I think that the theme of being misunderstood was conveyed in many more scenes in the novel than in the book. For example, when Miss Maudie's house burns down, after, when Scout goes inside, she notices that she has a blanket wrapped around herself. It was obvious that Boo Radley was the one who did it, showing a side that the kids had never even though existed in Boo. This scene wasn't shown in the movie so when we find out that Boo is the one who saves Scout and Jem in the end of the movie, it doesn't seem like Boo actually cares about the kids. I feel like the blanket is a turning point in the book and shows the reader how Boo Radley truly is.
    I think that I can speak for most when I say, that the book is regularly better than the movie. Personally, I feel like the book has a lot of little details that help the story flow and help the reader understand bigger topics and themes. For example, the theme that I am working on for our thematic essay is courage and bravery, and to be honest, in the movie, I don't understand that theme by watching. One of the main examples of the theme in the novel is after Mrs. Dubose dies and Atticus says how she was one of the only people he knew that had real courage. In the movie, Mrs. Dubose only showed up once in the movie and it was when she yelled at Scout and Jem, and in the end, the audience wouldn't have known that Mrs. Dubose had quit her addiction to morphine and that she wanted to leave the world, sober.
    Overall, I believe that the novel, To Kill A Mockingbird, was superior at conveying its messages than the film version because, personally, I could picture what the book would look like and the events in my mind would happen in the same order with the same characters as according to what the book said. In the movie, many of the events in the book were messed with, either by changing the order in which they appeared or by subtracting characters. Personally, I feel that by doing this, the directors of the film were kind of tearing the book apart and not keeping true to the book very much.


Comments: Carlos, Maria and Elenia

3 comments:

  1. I commented on Carlos, Maria, and Elenia's blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In truth, I feel that the many missing details throughout the movie did take away from its true meaning. Your example regarding Mrs. Dubose is possibly one of the most important, at least to me. I felt that this section allowed to view a different side to the woman we thought to be harsh and rude in the movie. Overall, you did a great job Citlalli!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kind of agree. I think that there are some missing important events and that made the movie less efficient in delivering the main idea/message.

    ReplyDelete