Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Morrie's Aphorisms - May 6, 2015

"If you've found meaning in your life, you don't want to go back. You want to go forward. You want to see more, do more. You can't wait until sixty-five." (p. 118)

    I believe that Morrie's main message for this aphorism would be that aging ins't something bad, it is an experience that will allow you to be content with the life you are living the life you are going to live. I think that Morrie is trying to tell Mitch that the only way to move in life is forward and that if we are always "battling against getting older" then we won't be able to be happy when we are young, and much less be happy when we get older; because there is no escaping aging. I also believe that Morrie is trying to say that to live a life that has been fulfilled, you don't have to be perfect, but you have to learn from all of your actions and the consequences that came with, and with those consequences, you learn from them, instead of holding a grudge and trying to change them. Finally, I think that Morrie added the last sentence about age, because, personally, I tend to see people at an older age who are the ones who want to move forward in their lives, and maybe just because they are at an older age and they believe that they have less time; but I believe that Morrie is saying that Mitch can't have the revelation of having a fulfilled life when he is Morrie's age.

    This aphorism reminds me of the movie Meet the Robinsons, where they say "Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things ..." The quote goes on to talk about curiosity which isn't really a topic discussed by Morrie, but I believe that the first part of the quote is extremely similar to what Morrie has to say. I think that the first sentence not only relates to the aphorism chosen, but it also relates to another thing that Morrie mentioned; which was that he allowed himself to cry every morning, and I think that when the quote says that they don't look back too long it represents Morrie because even while they move forward, they still take a short amount of time to look back. I also believe that the second part of the quote shows what Morrie was taking about wanting to experience new things and create new things as you go along.

    I agree with this quote because I think that as young people, we worry so much about getting old that we spend so much time planning ahead, whether it be for tomorrow or 20 years from now. I take this quote as more of looking changing your life today than the actual thought and process of aging. I believe that Morrie is trying to show the fulfillment of life and the mindset that comes with that. I decided to try and represent that by drawing a man walking down a road, like the road of life, and surrounding him were everything he has done and created; some butterflies and trees and flowers for the beautiful and happy times, but at the same time, hidden snakes with dead flowers and trees to represent the mistakes and bad times during his life. I chose to do this to show that to have a fulfilling life, you don't need to only be happy. I also drew him in the beginning of the road to show that because he has this fulfilling life, he still has so much more to go. From my own personal interpretation, I agree with this quote because I believe that it is also implicitly saying that to want to move forward and to have a fulfilling life, you need to live life the way you want to live it. In one part of the book, Morrie says, "I decided I'm going to live ... the way I want, with dignity, with courage, with humor, with composure. And I believe that Morrie's decision to live this way, the way he wanted which is probably different than the way Mitch wanted to live and the way I want to live, but by taking this authority on his life, he is more happy.


My Aphorism: take care of others, to reach your full potential

No comments:

Post a Comment