Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Tuesdays With Morrie - Week of 4/29/15

// What topic(chapter) has had the most impact on you or inspired you? //

    So far in the book, the fifth Tuesday; We Talk About Family has had the most impact on me. Right now in my life, and I think that in many others, we don't really appreciate family like we are supposed to. Personally, I don't really thank my parents, and I don't have a really strong connection with them, so when i read this chapter, when Morrie talks about how important family and love is, as well as the experiences you have with family, is extremely touching. In the first few pages of this chapter, Morrie says, "If you don't have the support and love and caring and concern that you get from family, you don't have much at all." I read this quote more than twice, and it really made me realize that now, we get so annoyed with out parents 'butting into our business' or actually being concerned about it because we think we are so independent, but in reality we need our parents to do that. I now see that all of that annoying stuff that our parents do, is out of love, and without it, we wouldn't be receiving the attention that we desire.

    In the fifth Tuesday, Morrie called his family his "spiritual security" and said that "knowing your family will be there watching out for you. Nothing else will give you that. Not money. Not fame." I find this really powerful because I feel like in today's society, a lot of kids and teens strive to success, fame, and fortune because they believe that, that will bring them the most happiness and Morrie completely contradicts that. This also really stood out to me, because, I consider myself a very materialistic person, and by reading that, it shows me, that, all of the items that I want, won't bring me half as much happiness than my family will.

Finally, in this chapter, Morrie also talks about children with Mitch, because starting a family is something that Mitch isn't 100% ready for. Morrie tells Mitch, "If you want the experience of having complete responsibility for another human being, and to learn how to love and bond in the deepest way, then you should have children." I think this quote really shined some light on parents and their entire experience of having children, and I think that it really sums up the relation between kids and their parents. I believe that the relationship you have with your parents is completely extraordinary than any other relationship whether it be siblings, lovers, or friends, because it really is one of the closest connections in your life. So far, Tuesdays With Morrie has completely surpassed my expectations and I can't wait to finish the book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment